Re: Know of courses on writing RFP responses?

Subject: Re: Know of courses on writing RFP responses?
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 10:46:25 -0800

If it's a Federal government solicitation, the require format and deliverables for your response are listed in the solicitation. (Don't get creative here, unless you want to get your response tossed out in the first round.) As for how to write the response...the best "course" I ever took on writing RFP responses was to work with a former Wing Commander on a large facility maintenance proposal for the Federal Government. The key is to think like the soliciting organization and even better, get to know what the Contracting Officer likes. Just as Andrew Plato said, most of those Federal solicitations are already geared toward a specific company. This doesn't mean you can't compete. It just means the playing field, regardless of what the funding agency says, is skewed.

Next, according to the Wing Commander (who used to review proposals for the Air Force), don't ever fall into the trap of "search and replace" solicitation response. Many company, especially those that use the shotgun approach to RFP response, simply change all the "vendor shall" to "vendor will". You can pump out a lot of responses in a short period of time this way, but your won/loss ratio won't be stellar. Also, remember that the text you put in your company's response is the foundation for the actual contract. The clearer your response, the fewer problems you will have executing the project. After writing several large proposals and winning a few of them, I found that everyone that we won followed the same concepts the Commander promoted.

So....read the RFP (better yet, have a couple of people read it). Determine what the solicitation is asking and decide if it's worth it to respond. Draft your response, including a pro forma budget. Get several individuals to review it (marketing, administration, staff, etc.). Incorporate their comments and send it off. Do a bunch of them and you will have had a better education than you could ever get from any formal course.
Al

"Clarence Gray" <> wrote ...
I've recently been given the task of writing RFP responses for my company. I don't have any formal or informal background in marketing/sales.

My question is: Does anyone know of a course in writing an RFP response that may help me out (particularly one online)? I'm located in Victoria, BC,

--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
From Concept to Completion