Re: Documentation and Bug Reports

Subject: Re: Documentation and Bug Reports
From: Isaac Rabinovitch <isaacr -at- mailsnare -dot- net>
To: techwr-l
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 13:15:09 -0800

Goldstein, Dan wrote:

Years ago, at a meeting with a company exec who hired our firm, he told us
that the goal for our documentation was to reduce the calls to their Help
desk by 20%. I don't know how they planned to measure that, if they really
measured it, or what the final number was.

Reducing support costs should always be a documentation goal. In theory, if one does a perfect job, the other is totally unnecessary! But this sort of thing *is* hard to quantify. And few pubs managers seem to think about it. The only time it was ever an issue for me was when I working *for* the customer service department. And come to think of it, a lot of what I wrote should have been written by the regular tech pubs people.