Re: Where does Documentation belong?

Subject: Re: Where does Documentation belong?
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 14:29:54 -0500

While this question has come up many times before and others have put a
lot of thought into it, AND the following position has been stated, I
thought I'd add a small twist.

Where documentation and/or training is in the Org chart is relatively
meaningless and highly dependant on company politics.

What it does effect is how you are treated by your management and how
budgeting is determined. Given the choice of moving, you should probably
move to one of two places in the org chart: - the group from whom you get
the most of your information, - the group that gives you the most trouble
(wrt meeting deadlines). Often I suppose these will be the same group.

The reason I think this is best is because you would then be working for
the same manager and that manager would be more inclined to push others in
their group based on another member's requirements. Secondly, if your
deadline becomes part of their deliverables, they'll do everything in
their power to make sure you have what you need to complete your
milestones.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer