Re: Where does Documentation belong?

Subject: Re: Where does Documentation belong?
From: "Scribe" <scribe48 -at- goldcity -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 23:22:25 -0800

Undertaking a new contract I immediately establish what is required of me,
the writer; and where and whom are my resources. (Also some other stuff to
make me look important). What I definitely attempt to do on day one is
firmly establish the editorial input and sign-off protocol for "my"
documentation.

Yes, I agree with k.k. that sales/marketing should "have some valid concerns
about how documentation is done, and be included in the reviews."
Unfortunately sales and marketing types are rarely literary giants and
frequently edit for edit sake. They feel they have to input "something".

I insist on documentation "control". Once the first draft is complete the
circulation, in order of priority, is pre-established. Technical accuracy
changes have priority; phraseology for documentation usability comes a close
second. Sorry, but the rest is fluff and "fluff" is what usually comes from
sales and marketing. When the first pass edits are completed the second
pass is just a sign-off of department heads (or should be).

Where things become "unfortunate" and "unglued" is when S&M are the dominate
force in a corporation; the head honchos are S&M-types and not
technologically oriented.

Yes, k.k. is correct. Control is the key and documentation groups must
retain control and establish protocols.

Ian