RE: Using M-dash and N-dash?

Subject: RE: Using M-dash and N-dash?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: 10 Feb 2004 23:46:43 GMT

On a less extreme level, this is what happens every time
another colloquial usage makes it into the dictionary,
and every time we choose to let a minor error in grammar or
punctuation go by because we're chasing a deadline (well,
*I* do, because I get paid to deliver documents by deadline,
not by grammatical accuracy). And yes, in order to get my
docs out faster I do commonly hit the - key rather than
keying in the sequence for an em dash. I've yet to have
a dime deducted from my contract payments or paycheck, or
to get a black mark against my performance in a direct
job for "incorrect dash usage," nor have I done either of
these things to someone working for me for doing same.

Gene Kim-Eng

On