Re: FONT STANDARDS

Subject: Re: FONT STANDARDS
From: lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com
To: "Anna Langley" <alangley -at- ts -dot- checkpoint -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 15:34:42 -0500

Anna Langley writes:

Dear Technical Writers:
I'm working on my team's document template. I'd like to know the font
size/style standards you've developed for:
Commands and strings.
File names.
Directory names.
Utilities.
Menu selections.
Keyboard, menu, and GUI buttons.

For commands, I use a sans serif bold, except for the variables, which are not bold. For command responses, I use courier. For keyboard names, I use small caps.
For menu selections, I do not use symbols to denote a progression. Rather, I write "From the Tools menu, choose Internet Options then select the Security tab."
I do not use any special formatting for any of the other things you mention, except in online help, where I might bold field names and button names on the assumption that they help the user to be *doing* the task, not reading about it.
Lyndsey Amott
www.docsymmetry.com
Winnipeg, MB R3G 2J3