RE: errored out, or erred out?

Subject: RE: errored out, or erred out?
To: "'kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com'" <kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:59:05 -0500

Well, what I've seen suggests "errored out" and not "erred out".

The process has probably not erred. It has encountered somebody
else's error and crapped out, tossing an error message as it
shut down, yes? Most programmer types and database geeks would
say that it "errored out". That would contrast with, say, an
uninformative crash.

Editorial types would cringe at the grammatical vileness, but
the practical ones would probably accept it as "vernacular"
for the industry.

/kevin