Re: errored out, or erred out?

Subject: Re: errored out, or erred out?
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:58:27 -0500

lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com wrote:

Neither. I write: "The system returns an error message."
I was going to write that sentence another way, but I ran into a grammar difficulty:
1. If you or the system screw up, the system returns...
2. If you or the system screws up, the system returns...
I'm still puzzling over it.

Number 2 is unequivocally the correct choice. The verb agrees with the _nearer_ subject in a compound subject.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]