Re: Building a documentation knowledgebase

Subject: Re: Building a documentation knowledgebase
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <chevotilburg -at- postmaster -dot- co -dot- uk>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:20:21 -0800

It occurs to me that depending on the degree of anarchy in your current
process, getting eveyone to use the same template could very well be
the first step in developing the necessary discipline for a knowledgebase,
or at least a cheap way of finding out if your organization is capable of
working with one. If you can't get even your information developers to
standardize on one bloody template and make document content more
consistent, your chances of getting them to do all the things they'll need
to do for a kb, like checking things in and out and entering key search
words in meta data for every piece of information they upload, will be
nil and investing in a kb will be time and money thrown down a rathole.

Gene Kim-Eng