pdf loosing chart grid patterns on charts placed in MS Word

Subject: pdf loosing chart grid patterns on charts placed in MS Word
From: "Laurel Hickey" <lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:05:38 -0800

I've got a massive report done in MS Word on my desk with dozens of MS
Excel charts copied over to it. It's actually behaving quite well... BUT
... when I produce a pdf from it, the fills in the chart bars loose
their pattern and turn plain grey (some texture is retained but only at
high mag and it doesn't show on printing). Of course the differentiation
of the data sets is reduced or eliminated.

The author really, really wants to use pattern fills. Does anyone have a
workaround?

Excel xp chart with pattern fills >> copied and pasted to MS Word xp
(displays fills and prints fine from Word) >> pdf (various setting tried
with same result)

The only workaround I've found is to create repeatable images and have
him fill the chart bars with the pictures instead. Sigh.

Laurel Hickey
2morrow writing & document design
lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca
http://www.2morrow.bc.ca