Re: Question regarding styles

Subject: Re: Question regarding styles
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 19:43:25 +1100

dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com wrote:
> Mailing List wrote:
>> If I specify a space-before, it works just as well as a
>> space after, in most situations. However, when a paragraph
>> lands at the top of a page, the "space-before" causes it
>> to start that much lower on the page.
>
> Not necessarily.
>
> If the paragraph appears at the top of the page because of *automatic*
> pagination, Word omits the style-designated space above it.
>
> If the paragraph appears at the top of the page because you inserted
> a hard page break, though, Word leaves the space above it intact.

Not necessarily. ;-)

In Win 2K at least, there is a Compatibility option labelled
"Suppress Space Before after a hard page or column break".

However, you still have to worry about paragraphs having
the "Para Page Break Before" attribute. Those will retain
the "space before" following a page break, which may
or may not be a problem. Just be aware of it.

--
Michael West