Is this a typical technical writing environment?

Subject: Is this a typical technical writing environment?
From: "Lucy Connor" <lconnor -at- asmr -dot- com>
To: <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:17:07 -0500

I'm a fairly new technical writer. I've been working for three years, but
only nine months in my current position. Here is my question: do all
technical writers have to chase the developers (or whomever they write for)
for information?

For example, I write a manuals for web applications, and today I found out
that an entire new page has been added to the application. No one bothered
to tell me, but they did bother to ask why it isn't in the manual. I wasn't
told that it's my responsibility to spend my days going through the system
looking for new pages, but apparently it is! Is that just the way it works
in this business?

Will I always be the last to know about new developments? Or is this
something that varies from job to job? Do any of you deal with this? How?

Lucy Connor