Re: Grade-level writing - tool suggestions? (Summary)

Subject: Re: Grade-level writing - tool suggestions? (Summary)
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 08:21:59 +1100

Hughes, Linda wrote:
> A couple of people suggested using interns, recent high school grads,
> etc. to look over the manual and highlight everything they don't
> understand.

That's an interesting idea, and may be useful as a last
resort, but the problem is that you can't really measure
comprehension simply by asking the subjects whether
they understood it or not. Usability testing (for that's
what we're dealing with here) requires empirical measures
in addition to subjective responses.
--
Michael West