Re: Converting American English to British English

Subject: Re: Converting American English to British English
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: "Van Laan, Krista" <KVanlaan -at- verisign -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 13:09:51 -0800 (PST)

Krista,

Although it will only do part of the job, a good British spellcheck dictionary should catch the bulk of the spelling differences. Beyond that, differences in construction are far too subtle for machine moderation at the current state of the art.

That said, most technical stuff shouldn't present a huge problem once you're past any spelling differences...the usual "colour/color" sorts of things. Referential term differences--such as the "hood" being the front opening lid on an American car and the lid of the "boot" (trunk) on a British one (at least, as I recall that is the case) -- will devolve upon a British editor to catch, I'm afraid.

David

-----Original Message from "Van Laan, Krista" <KVanlaan -at- verisign -dot- com>-----

Does anyone know of a cheap, nonhuman way to review content for localizing
American English to UK English? I'm hoping for something like those online
translators that take your input and turn it into another language. I need
to use it on a number of files, though.

Krista