Re: Resumes with a sense of humour

Subject: Re: Resumes with a sense of humour
From: MaggiRos <maggiros -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 23:24:01 -0800 (PST)

--- Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com> wrote:

> He feels that demonstrates his sense of humour and he
> figures that if a
> company won't hire him based on that line in his resume
> then he doesn't
> want to work with him. He's an Oracle guru. What do

He may not be addressing the company.

If the person reading the resume is the hiring manager, and
that manager is in the right mood (lacking tone of voice,
body language, wink and nudge) that's cool. However, often
enough, the person reading is the recruiter, who gets to
choose whether or not to forward the letter/resume to the
hiring manager. Recruiters are notoriously humorless. They
are also the gatekeepers.

Not being an Oracle guru, my resume is pretty straight, the
cover letter semi-formal--although I do end a T-letter with
"I can also spell". Otherwise, I save the quirky charm for
the interview.

Maggie
~Starting a gig at a major Southern California campus in
mere hours. (Bright college days, oh carefree days that fly...)

http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools