Renaming referenced files in FrameMaker

Subject: Renaming referenced files in FrameMaker
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:17:53 -0800

I'm looking to find if there's an easy way to rename graphics files that
I've referenced in FrameMaker and make sure the references update. I can
find nothing in either the FrameMaker online help nor the 3rd party
FrameMaker book I have.

I'm looking to do this because I'm well into the deep end, a User Guide that
needs a whole rewrite and the product is due to ship in just a few weeks. In
other words, not a whole lot of time for planning, nor for learning all
about the product before I begin writing/rewriting. As I've gone along, I've
been taking screen captures, including of some of the navigation buttons. I
noticed today that (a) the navigation buttons look different in different
parts of the program, and (b) because I didn't know "a," I hadn't been
naming files consistently.

I'd like to rename the screen captures of the buttons and arrows, but I
don't know how to make FrameMaker (7.0 on Windows, BTW) "follow along" when
I do. Renaming will make future maintenance easier, not to mention present
work.

If I was working on an HTML-based system, and using a tool such as
Dreamweaver for authoring, renaming a file within that system would update
all the references to that file.

FrameMaker does this (easily) on the chapter file level. But I know of know
way to do it with files referenced within the chapter files.

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. The day
may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our friends and
break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day! This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf