RE: .net and Help

Subject: RE: .net and Help
From: "John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>
To: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:19:57 -0500

>I gotta ask: How is it a healthy development
>environment where online help *isn't* part
>of the functional spec from the git go?

That's currently an issue being discussed as we speak :-) OTOH, we're
VERY early in the development, so almost nothing was impacted. It's not
even at the point of having a UI yet.

>Oh yeah, my condolences about having
>to use RH.

Are you kidding? Within 4 hours of walking out of the meeting, I had
proof-of-concept 150 topic help generated from my FrameMaker document in
my management's inbox that I created from the Functional Specs. He was
FLOORED. He showed it to the VP of Development. She was too. I look
great, he looked great, she looked great, and she can conclude her
executive stakeholder presentation on Monday with an "Oh, BTW..wanna see
the help for it?

>See, my comment would be to find out if this
>new feature could be designed so that its use
>was inherently understandable. Failing that,
>embedded just-in-time content is preferable
>to content that user have to take an extra
>step or two to read.

This wasn't a documentation meeting, it was a developer's meeting where
the actual functionality was being discussed....how do check marks get
cleared, populated, etc. I just happen to make a comment...ya had to be
there.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Isogon Corporation