RE: FWD: Quiet workplace

Subject: RE: FWD: Quiet workplace
From: "Diane Evans" <diane_evans -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 07:47:43 -0800

Am I alone in needing a relatively quiet place to work?

Not at all. As our company was preparing to move to our new building (we moved last week), I was originally slated to be one of four people sharing a cubicle area. I was so relieved when I got an office, instead! Smaller than the cubicle area, but very quiet.

How have others (especially lone writers like me) succeeded in negotiating for a quiet workspace?

Negotiation is a skill that must be learned by most people. I generally negotiate by making a plan, then offering the plan to the person in charge and be willing to compromise.

For example, instead of complaining (no one likes to hear complaints), find an area that you would rather work. Then, approach your manager. "I see that Cubicle XYZ isn't in use. It is not in the main stream of traffic, but still close to your area. Is it possible to move there, instead? I need a quieter area because <insert logical arguments here>."

In the meantime, you can get noise-cancelling headphones. They aren't cheap, but they are just amazing. Stop by at a store that sells them and ask to try them out.

When applying for a new job, how do writers assess the suitability of their
future working environment?

I don't. I take the job, then negotiate for a better working environment, if necessary. I have never had trouble negotiating for what I need to do my job right, whether it is software or my work station.

Diane Evans
Technical Writer

Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee when you click here. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963