RE: Quiet workplace

Subject: RE: Quiet workplace
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 22:54:32 -0500

::: So far my complaints to my manager and the manager of HR have fallen
::: on deaf ears, so to speak.

What have they said in response?

::: I'm the only writer at my company, so it's
::: possible they don't understand what writers need. Or maybe I'm
::: atypical in my need for quiet.

You're not atypical. I doubt it's the former, either.

::: Before I make a formal request for a
::: quieter location, I'd like to gather some information about the
::: conditions other technical writers work in. Am I alone in needing a
::: relatively quiet place to work?

I highly doubt it.

::: How have others (especially lone
::: writers like me) succeeded in negotiating for a quiet
::: workspace?

"The noise is distracting and I'm not as productive as I could be with a bit
more quiet."

::: When applying for a new job, how do writers assess the
::: suitability of their future working environment?

I check it out.

Bill Swallow
wswallow "at" nycap "dot" rr "dot" com