Re: Documentation Architect vs. Technical Expert !

Subject: Re: Documentation Architect vs. Technical Expert !
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:05:03 -0800 (PST)

<dan -dot- gallagher -at- pulsartech -dot- com> wrote ...

> How can I possibly know about this stuff, when these engineers are world
> renowned experts on it? How can I possibly be viewed as worthy of doing
> this documentation? Sorry, but I'm feeling somewhat vulnerable at this
> point. I would like to keep up with things and be viewed as competant. But
> I have no knowledge of Frequency shift keying or Power-Line Carrier. How
> can I even begin to be worthy in their eyes, when these experts have been
> at it since before I was born?
>
> I hope you understand my self-imposed dilemna.

I typed "Frequency shift keying" into Google and just read 3 great articles on
it. There is ample information out there about the technology. Spend some time
to learn a little about what the engineers know. Then make friends with them
and get them to explain the technologies to you. Demonstrate that you've
learned a little about their expertise and they'll be more than happy to share
information with you.

Then you will be worthy of documenting it.

You might have been hired as a documentation expert. But a documentation expert
is almost useless if they don't understand the subject matter. A documentation
expert with no subject matter expertise is an administrative assistant.

You need to learn the science and technology behind the products you're
documenting. It's just that simple.

Andrew Plato

http://search.yahoo.com