Consulting books?

Subject: Consulting books?
From: gthompso -at- svbank -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:48:11 -0700

Hi All:

I have been consulting for better part of a year and have decided to make
this a permanent way of life, rather than go back and try to work full
time for someone as a tech writer. I am currently working as a consultant
for a company here in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I have also decided that I don?t just want to limit myself to technical
writer. For example, I have taken some grant writing and have done some
work for a major museum in Los Angeles and am getting ready to do grant
writing job for a small start up. I have also done a free web newsletter
for a large job training non-profit organization here in the San Francisco
Bay Area. I have a bunch of other ideas for projects.

I need to learn more about the business/marketing side of being a
consultant. Can anyone recommend any good books to get started?
Professional organizations for grant writers or freelance writers? Web
based tools to help one manage one?s business? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

George