Trademarks: TM or (R) ?

Subject: Trademarks: TM or (R) ?
From: "Jeroen Dekker" <jeroen -at- square1 -dot- nl>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 15:07:24 +0100

Hi,

Can anyone riddle me this, and send the response to me via email as well as to the list (I'm on digest)?

When does one use TM to follow a brand, and when does one use (R)? Do you use one for a company name, and the other for a product name? Does it signify a legal difference in the type of trademark a company has for that brand? Or do people just use what looks neat in their eyes?

Am I correct in thinking that you only need to use e.g. Windows (tm) the first time I mention it, and there's no need to use the (tm) for Windows in the remainder of the document?

Can I just suffice with something like "All brands and trademarks are the property of their respective owners." at the bottom of a document?

Thanks!

Jeroen Dekker
jeroen -at- square1 -dot- nl