RE: Which image format

Subject: RE: Which image format
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "'David Neeley'" <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 21:25:58 -0500

::: Just as some shops still use Windows NT 4 and Word 97,
::: printers also can be highly resistant to change.

I haven't used NT 4 or seen it actively used for anything other than testing
since 2000. They can be resistant to change all they want. If they want my
money, they'll keep up with me.

::: The important thing is the speed, quality, and price of the
::: output. I know many printers who are not on the leading
::: edge of digital technology, but who do tremendous work that
::: always is on time and on budget.

Me too, but if they don't fit into my workflow, how does that help me?

::: If we do enough printing, we have the stroke to "encourage"
::: printers to bring in new technologies. If we only do the
::: occasional job, we may not be so influential.

This is why building a solid relationship with a vendor is so critical.

::: Preparing images for printing, so long as you can find a
::: "happy medium" in exchange formats that does not unduly
::: inconvenience you and thus add to your costs, should be an
::: easy enough thing to accomplish.

I have never had to prepare an image. I have published over 100 books, from
monochrome to full CMYK color.

::: "Passing by" an otherwise exceptional printer may be a very
::: costly mistake.

So might hindering your own workflow's evolution.

Bill Swallow
wswallow "at" nycap "dot" rr "dot" com