"DO NOT COOK"?

Subject: "DO NOT COOK"?
From: "Downing, David" <DavidDowning -at- Users -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:58:35 -0500

The technical writing tie-in here concerns an instruction NOT to do
something, and whether such an instruction should have been given in a
certain situation. The situation is that my wife bought a package of
those Smuckers peanut butter and jelly pastries (or whatever you call
them) that resembled a similar product containing macaroni and cheese.
The macaroni and cheese product has cooking instructions on each wrapper
for each individual pastry, but the pb&j product didn't. So she assumed
the pb&j pastries should be cooked using the same procedure and the mack
and cheese ones -- and proceeded to turn one of them into a hockey puck.

When we looked at the box, we found out that you don't cook the pb&j
pastries at all. My wife felt foolish, but I think the wrappers should
have had a "DO NOT COOK" instruction on them, in anticipation of someone
making exactly the wrong assumption that my wife did. Whenever
possible, I try to anticipate things people might be gonna do that they
aren't supposed to and include the appropriate warning. Do you all
think it was called for in this case?

Attention:
The information contained in this message and or attachments is intended
is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and
delete the material from any system and destroy any copies.
by NetIQ MailMarshal

ROBOHELP FOR FRAMEMAKER AS LOW AS $299! Offer expires March 31.
Publish your FrameMaker documents online -- quickly and easily!

New licenses are only $899 for one and $499 for additional licenses.
Use a competitor's product? Switch to RoboHelp for FrameMaker
for only $299! Buy today: CALL 1-800-462-4420 or 1 858-847-7900.
Hurry, offer expires March 31 2004.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com