RE: Sarbanes-Oxley 404 Project Information - RANT

Subject: RE: Sarbanes-Oxley 404 Project Information - RANT
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:27:59 -0800

Exactly! Accountants who can write. HA! I was working with 25 of them and
almost none could write. Very smart nice people, but not much on the words.
And only a couple had the attention for detail that is required to get these
docs into shape for the auditors.

I've been thinking about STC too. I have a proven model that's added 4 tech
writers at just one company, so maybe they'll be interested.

The time to act is now, I think. Companies have to be compliant within a
couple of years. I'm curious, does anyone with experience in another
regulated field (e.g., banking) know how tech writers can be involved in
ongoing work like this? My understanding is that most of the ongoing work
will be in testing and updating test plans, with only occasional changes to
process docs.

Diane, I'm curious about your viewpoint that SOX is going to spill into the
private sector. It's an awfully expensive proposition. While I can see
private companies perhaps becoming a little more careful about documenting
processes, I'm not sure I agree that they'll take on the extra expense. Can
you explain more?

Lisa