Re: flashpoint of the week: editors and writers egos

Subject: Re: flashpoint of the week: editors and writers egos
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:38:09 -0500

Lisa,

John's point is well taken. The first lesson any professional writer learns is that this isn't personal--it's about the words on the page. However, you are not dealing with professional writers; you are dealing with amateurs.

I think you need to get past the resistance by being gentle with them. Only then will you be able to instill a degree of professionalism in them that will get them past the problem of taking it personally.

Dick

John Posada wrote:

Lisa...as soon as I hear "I was even told to stop using red ink, because
it was 'too violent and upsetting' ", and this isn't the first, I
immediately realize that the whole idea of editing in that environment
is futile because the people who's precious content you are editing are
taking this personal.

To make matters worse: "who has also been urging me to be kinda gentle
on people, since he is trying to reverse a history of conflict and power
struggles amongst the writers" doesn't realize that editing someone's
content is not personal.

Lynne...I don't know what to say..I have a document in front of me FULL
of red comments and the first thought through my head was "Please
sir...can I have some more?

ROBOHELP FOR FRAMEMAKER AS LOW AS $299! Offer expires March 31.
Publish your FrameMaker documents online -- quickly and easily!
New licenses are only $899 for one and $499 for additional licenses.
Use a competitor's product? Switch to RoboHelp for FrameMaker
for only $299! Buy today: CALL 1-800-462-4420 or 1 858-847-7900.
Hurry, offer expires March 31 2004.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com