Re: Contracting

Subject: Re: Contracting
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 13:04:59 -0500

Sylvia Burleigh wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I work contract positions ( technical writing, editing, help
> development ) on a regular basis. What I come across and wondered
if
> this was the "norm", is certain people directly, as well as
> indirectly, have told me
> that they could do my job with "their hands tied behind their backs"
> and that the work I do brings "I bring no value ."

What is the context in which such statements are made to you?

> Some managers, not all, claim they have "20 years experience
editing."
> However, the department could not get a document pass public affairs
> and legal until I had sat with SME's, reorganized and reedited the
> material (over and over). The document had passed within 2 days
with
> no edits required from either department.
>
> My question is why do they have me sit through an interview with my
> portfolio, just to tell me this. Sure the paragraph above proves
> can do the job, but do I have to go through this period of "proving"
> myself each time.

You may have been hired against the wishes of the manager who makes
such statements and whose superiors have told him or her that an
editor must be hired. Some people act this way because they want to
intimidate you and because they are insecure in their own skills.

---
Bonnie Granat
www.granatedit.com
Technical Editing and Writing

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com