Some of us are victims and some aren't (was Re: Tech writers, comments about.)

Subject: Some of us are victims and some aren't (was Re: Tech writers, comments about.)
From: "Richard G. Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 16:13:01 -0700

Lucy Connor wrote:

> I'm told daily by SMEs and supervisors how lucky they feel to have a tech
> writer on staff. I have difficulties with my job, but a lack of respect
> from my colleagues is not one of them.
>
> Just a thought to add to the pile . . . some of us are valued highly for
> what we do.

It seems to me that there are quite a few problems and complaints that
various members of our profession report about their work situations. Among
them are:
-- Working in unpleasant surroundings.
-- Being forced to use the wrong tools.
-- Being forced to use the wrong style guide.
-- Feeling abused and bullied by this list.
-- Not being included in important meetings.
-- Not getting enough information and cooperation from their SMEs.
-- Getting no support from their management.

It also seems to me that tech writers fall into two camps:
-- Those who report that their work is _not_ valued and respected.
-- Those who report that their work _is_ valued and respected.

I have this theory, which could probably be confirmed with just a little
sociological research. I'm willing to bet that the Rodney Dangerfields of
tech writing are much more likely to have one or more of the problems and
complaints listed above (or others like them). I bet that those who feel
valued and respected either don't have such problems or they see them as
minor, manageable, and to be taken in stride.

Of course, it's just a theory at this point. And in any case, correlation
doesn't prove causation, does it? Even if I'm right, it could be that the
Rodney Dangerfields just happen to be surrounded by meanies who both cause
them problems and fail to treat them with respect. Or maybe it's just
coincidence or bad luck. Or perhaps a malevolent universe is just out to get
some people.

Whatever -- I bet everyone would feel better if we virtually hold hands and
sing "Kumbaya."

;-)

Richard

<< If you find this post offensive or insensitive, please refer to Keith
Cronin's sig line for guidance. >>

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Voyant, a division of Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom
richardDOTcombs AT voyanttechDOTcom
303-223-5111
------
rgcombs AT freeDASHmarketDOTnet
303-777-0436
------

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com