Re: manager credibility

Subject: Re: manager credibility
From: k k <turnleftatnowhere -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:14:21 -0800 (PST)

I think it matters a lot how you define a "virtual
team." Do you mean a group of people who literally
never meet? In such a case, I think technical
competence of the manager would be paramount. When you
remove human interactions from the equation, you also
remove most of the things that managers have to do and
most of the concerns that differentiate good and bad
mangagers.

As for this snip...

> This is 2004, and a highly competitive global
> economy. Managerial "techniques"
> based on the premise that "you have to do what I
> tell you to do because I'm the
> mommy" are as obsolete as "my way or the highway."

Would that it were so. However, both these
"techniques" are very much alive and well. The former
will always be with us because there will never be a
shortage of bad managers. Sturgeon's Law applies in
all fields - the number of really competent managers
will always be a minority.

And, I think the latter "technique" is actually
becoming stronger. With layoffs and offshoring
shrinking the job possibilities steadily, it is very
much a buyer's market today, and everybody knows it.
The highway today has significantly fewer lanes and
offramps than it did in the 1990's. Or perhaps it
would be more accurate to say that it has fewer
offramps leading to desirable destinations. It has a
lot of offramps leading to dry gulches and dead ends.

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com