Re: What would you do if *you* were the VP? (was Re: manager credibility)

Subject: Re: What would you do if *you* were the VP? (was Re: manager credibility)
From: "T. Word Smith" <techwordsmith -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 07:37:48 -0800 (PST)

1) Respect my employees, as professionals and as
people, unless *proven* otherwise.

2) Trust my employees work and approach to work,
unless *proven* otherwise.

3) Provide positive support and a positive atmosphere
for my employees, including offering support against
political crap.

4) Mentor and develop the skill set of my employees,
including a yearly conference or offsite training.

5) Push my employees to keep up with technology and
learn about the whole subject of the items they are
documenting.

6) Use carrots, not just sticks.

7) Set reasonable goals for work, plan, plan, plan.

8) Focus on meeting goals and getting work done, not
on hours of face time.

9) Permit telecommuting in a metered way, measured
against goals and other expectations.

10) Proivde semi-annual performance reviews and
feedback.

11) I wish I were my own boss.

--- Steve Schwarzman <steve -at- writersbookmall -dot- com> >
Still, it was exciting to think of the
> possibilities. This thread has been
> more or less about what a manager ought to be. So
> what would you do if *you*
> were the VP?

=====
T.

"Money makes the world go 'round is an incomplete statement; money is the fuel, and stupidity is the short bus that burns it." (Bill Swallow-02/04)

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!

Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content

Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com