remote manager credibility (was: manager credibility)

Subject: remote manager credibility (was: manager credibility)
From: "Ned Bedinger" <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 10:56:17 -0800

Edwin--

Let me know if this helps:

http://www.att.com/canadawebzine/08_feature.html

I gather there are two fronts where you have
management issues: leadership/management
dichotomy, and a need for a shift in the
motivation/rewards model. Still, the specific
scenario(s) you're refering to mysterious. This is
a topic I, with a wealth of battle experience as a
remote tech writing employee, take very seriously.

Myself, I need nothing more than a 12"-wide ledge,
a 'net connection and cell phone for comms, a seat
at the right height, and a laptop, and I will lose
myself in work for 12+ hours a day. No manager or
"vision-thing" leader can come as close to
motivating me as a challenging project and a
decent work environment (quiet). I just happen to
love to work at what I love to do.
Stick-and-carrot school of managers are more
likely to de-motivate me. Gawd I hate that. Just
let me blast through my work, in my way, and
they'll get the results we settled on at the
outset.

Managers often declare that writers have to be in
the office to discuss project with engineers or
other clients. This is the weakest load of
nonsense ever since the world began. But a real
sticking point for managers who can't bring
themselves to manage virtual employees.

Now come on Edwin. Dish. The future
of telecommuting may depend on it.

I'd still like to know about specific issues
you're identifying. Is this a case where your
company (like ATT) has embraced the value of
remote workers but your manager can't get
the hang of it? Maybe s/he tries to use you
remote arrangement as leverage ("If you don't make
the deadline I'm getting rid of remote workers and
putting the team back in the office")

I'd be gratified if you would follow up again.

--Ned