Illustrations in electronic publications and paper editions?

Subject: Illustrations in electronic publications and paper editions?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 09:35:36 -0500

Solena Le Moigne wonders: <<The global idea of SGML (in my case) and XML thingies is to produce both electronic publications and paper editions from the same collection of files>>

That's certainly one purpose of SGML, but more fundamentally, the goal of SGML is to help you label components based on their _function_ so you can tailor the output by choosing only functions that apply to the current context.

In your example (see below), the function is "illustration", but because you have two media (print and online), it might be more productive to consider creating two categories: "print graphic" and "online graphic". Since the "ideal" graphic format is so different for two such different media, that's probably a more robust approach than trying to make one graphic meet both needs.

<<The norm we use here requires .jpeg at 300 dpi and .cgm files for the illustrations. When we generate a HTML output from our files, the .jpegs blow the whole thing up. We have normal text, and then the corner of a HUGE PICTURE way too big to display on the screen.>>

If the intended display size is the same in both media, then the solution is simple: Retain a copy of the original image (PhotoShop? Illustrator?) as your backup in case you need to make modifications, then save a rescaled version at the desired final target size.

This is an excellent general approach for any graphics system, by the way; why make each member of a large audience wait while their software rescales and redraws the picture if you can do it once (before publishing) and spare them the hassle? Of course, if the goal is for them to be able to rescale the graphic and zoom in, then you need to choose a vector graphic format that lets them do so. But that's a different need than what you seem to be suggesting.

<<"Of course, I thought, my monitor resolution is at 81 dpi. There is no way that the 2106x826 pixels .jpeg image of a big truck at 300 dpi would fit on it." I then thought I'd have to change the image output resolution so that the image would fit on the allocated space on the screen, just like I do for website galleries. Oh, wait a minute, if I change the resolution, the pictures in the paper edition won't look good anymore. Uh-oh.>>

As noted above, this suggests that your best solution is to create three image files: the original (used to generate the other two and preserved as a backup), a print-optimized version, and a screen-optimized version. Among other things, the image size will differ greatly; a 300 dpi JPEG that works well in print will occupy roughly* 16 times as much space as a 72 dpi JPEG. You may even want a fourth option (a scaleable version) for some kinds of image.

* That's a gross oversimplification, of course. If the horizontal resolution increases 400% and the vertical resolution increases likewise, then the result (4x4=16) seems correct but isn't. Whether you really get that 16-fold increase in file size depends on how much you compress the JPEG and how effective the compression algorithm is for each individual graphic's color palette.

<<Can it be done that the same image is used both in the electronic publication and the paper edition?>>

Yes and no. If you want a "one image fits all situations but fits none of them ideally", then you need some kind of scaleable graphic format. If you're hung up on JPEG, it's worth noting that a 300 dpi image may be twice the resolution you need; as a rule of thumb, you can get decent results by using an image resolution only twice the output resolution (typically a 75 lpi screen in print) if you're using the image at 100%.

Saving the document in Flash format might work, since Flash does a decent job of resizing the graphic. But a JPEG (for photos) or PNG (for bitmapped art) is probably your best bet overall for bitmaps, since both scale reasonably well (JPEG scales better because it contains more data if you save it as a high-resolution file).

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!
Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com