RE: Illustrations in electronic publications and paper editions

Subject: RE: Illustrations in electronic publications and paper editions
From: "Bill Trippe" <btrippe -at- nmpub -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:16:47 -0500

Hello Solena:

> Solena -dot- LEMOIGNE -at- fr -dot- thalesgroup -dot- com wrote.
> Can it be done that the same image is used both in the electronic
> publication and the paper edition ?

Especially for the kind of application that you describe, I think the answer
is using Scalable Vector Graphics. I can suggest a few resources.

Here is an excellent introduction to SVG from XML.com

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/03/21/svg.html

XML.com has a whole section related to the use of XML in graphics, which
focuses mainly on SVG:

http://www.xml.com/graphics/

SVG is a recommendation from the World Wide Web Consortium. The SVG home
page at the W3C is also an excellent listing of links regarding SVG:

http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/

Finally, I also have some chapter excerpts from a book that a colleague and
I have written, SVG for Designers:

http://www.svgfordesigners.com/svg_excerpts.html

Hope this helps. I would be discuss more here or off-line.

Bill

-------------------------
Bill Trippe
New Millennium Publishing
1 West Foster St.
Melrose, MA 02176
781 662 6672
btrippe -at- nmpub -dot- com

See http://nmpub.com/blog/ for "Ideas in Technology and Publishing"

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!

Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content

Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com