Need Advice On How To Begin Outsourcing Tech Pubs

Subject: Need Advice On How To Begin Outsourcing Tech Pubs
From: "Weber, Dianne" <dianne -dot- weber -at- waukeshaengine -dot- dresser -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 11:37:07 -0600

Recently, the entire technical writing department at my company was
dismissed. One other coworker is left with me to "pick up the pieces" and
carry on. The company's strategy is to outsource the technical manuals.
Since I am the "surviving" technical writer, I will be coordinating those
outsourcing efforts. Here is where all of you come in.

I need advice on where to start with the task of outsourcing all user
manuals. Here are the questions that will help me get started on this new
venture:

Where should I start (right now it seems overwhelming)? (FYI: There are
three tech writing firms in the area.)
What should I expect when working with an outside vendor?
How should I arrange our working relationship? Should I always be the
contact person or should I have the outside writer contact SMEs direct?
How much time should I allow for this new arrangement to be up and running?

This is a good start for now. Your suggestions will be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Dianne

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!

Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content

Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com