Re: Reading online in sans-serif when Word template specifies serif font

Subject: Re: Reading online in sans-serif when Word template specifies serif font
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 12:52:13 -0800 (PST)

Bonnie,

You do have me confused. You say you want to "edit a Word document" "online."

I'm afraid I don't know what you are referring to, since AFAIK Word is not an online resource. But of course, I'm also not sure of the advantage to editing in a sans-serif font, either.

If the doc uses "normal" for its body text, it would class as either being "simple" or "simple minded"--but that's another story entirely.

The only thing that changing a font to one with different metrics would entail, I believe, is differences in line endings, where pages begin and end, etc.

If you leave the existing style definitions alone but add a new body style with a new name, defined with the font you wish, and then select the body text and change to the new style for editing, you should be able to change back to the original with no problem later, and remove the style definition.

Personally, for editing *content* I occasionally change to an extremely readable serif font, especially when my eyes are tired. I find the serifs tend to be easier to read in long text, but I want a more "open" and readable font with little work to do for tired eyes. One of my favorites for this purpose is Century Schoolbook.

However, doing the style change as I have indicated should result in everything going back to what it was previously with no "gotchas" to deal with. Of course, with Word I can never be totally sure!

David

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!

Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content

Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com