RE: Relocation Advice

Subject: RE: Relocation Advice
From: "Lathrop, Sarah" <Sarah -dot- Lathrop -at- citigroupfundservices -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 13:57:56 -0400

Cor,

I've done two long distance moves (NY to CA and CA to ME). Certain costs are easy to find out, like getting an estimate from a mover for your household items, the cost to transport your family and/or pets, the cost to ship your car if you don't want to drive, etc. But there are other costs, many emotional that you need to consider. Here are a few:

1. You will need to build a new network of friends and acquaintances. (In my experience, this takes between 1 & 2 years to really build the connections.) Ditto for spouse & children (unless children are very young).
2. You will need to start over with doctors, dentists, hairdressers, etc.
3. You will need to find reliable service people (car, home repair, plumber, etc.)
4. You will need to think about the holidays. Are all your family members in New York? Are they going to expect you to come home for the holidays? Are you going to miss important family events because of the distance & cost of travel?

Sarah