Re: scaling down a document?

Subject: Re: scaling down a document?
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 21:45:51 -0400

New Tech Writer wrote:

I'm a newbie technical writer and doing a technical
writing internship. My first assignment is to update
and then produce a smaller version of a user guide
that is mostly text and some screen caps.
The original guide is in letter size. If I want to
produce both a new letter size and a smaller version
(like A5) - is it ok to create a letter size version
and scale down the result for the smaller user guide?
Or would it be better to plan it as a smaller version
to begin with?

Have you been explicitly told to produce the SAME document in a smaller physical format? Or is it possible the assignment is actually to produce a shorter document (through judicious editing to remove excess verbiage and information-free screen shots, perhaps)?

I think that if there is any doubt in your mind about whether you understood the assignment correctly, you should settle this question first.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!
Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com