Re: FUNNY OFFSHORE STORY

Subject: Re: FUNNY OFFSHORE STORY
From: "T. Word Smith" <techwordsmith -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 06:19:51 -0700 (PDT)

It's all about the circles you travel in. If you're a
CEO or, for example politically connected to the
executive branch, etc., I'm sure things are looking
good ... and so you see and relate that.

Clearly, these interviewers are doing fine and have
not seen the kind of job market you are seeing ....

>From a certain perspective, outsourcing to India (not
to pick on India, it's just a common example) is a
good thing, it increases profits, boosts stock, makes
the shareholders happy, and boots bonuses based on
those factors.

--- Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com> wrote:

> the interviewer had the
> audacity to tell me that
> the technical writing industry was not in a
> recession so wondered why I
> hadn't worked much last year.
>
> The IT director was shocked that his
> job was moving to
> India and told him that there wasn't any recession
> going on. He also
> indicated shock about the Oracle job moving to India
> because as he told
> my husband, "Companies don't just move work to
> India."

Am surprised, especially in the second case, that
these pseudo political issues came up at an interview
(the first round, I would guess) ... I'd avoid those
hot potatoes. Of course, if the interviewer raised the
issue I'd certainly feel free to judge them and their
company based on what the interviewer said ... still,
personal beliefs have to take a back seat to paying
the mortgage, right?

=====
T.

"Money makes the world go 'round is an incomplete statement; money is the fuel, and stupidity is the short bus that burns it." (Bill Swallow-02/04)

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!

Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content

Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com