Re: SharePoint security breaches?

Subject: Re: SharePoint security breaches?
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 11:39:29 -0700 (PDT)

"Goldstein, Dan" <> wrote ...

> I Googled this subject in various permutations and failed to come up with
> useful information.
>
> With all of the security problems that MS has been having, does anyone have
> any SharePoint security info and/or horror stories? Statistically unsound
> anecdotes are welcome!

Sharepoint uses IIS 6.0 and Windows 2003. Therefore, pretty much any security
weaknesses in those products would afffect in SharePoint. Furthermore,
SharePoint is intended as an INTERNAL tool, not something you put on the public
internet. Therefore, its security would be largely dependent on the internal
security of the organization.

However, Windows 2003 is arguably more secure than 2000 and IIS 5.0. So many of
the problems with those products don't affect SharePoint. I've got numerous
2003 servers running at my office and they have given us no problems: zero
problems, zero crashes, zero viruses.

There is 1 bug listed on Bugtraq specific to SharePoint:
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/345002

Also, the security (or insecurity) of a technology is far more dependent on how
it is used, implemented, and managed than its underlying architecture. Just
because something has Microsoft stamped on it, doesn't mean its insecure.
Microsoft products can be used in very secure manner, if you know what you're
doing.

Furthermore, statistically unsound ancedotes are no better that out-right lies.
In that case, I'll make up a story and you can use it:

Our company implemented SharePoint 2003 and we immediately became a 90000
trillion dollar company. Everybody had a full head of hair and dropped to their
proper weight. We all enjoyed lavish, stress-free lives of complete
satisfaction where all our carnal needs were filled in an instant.

Andrew Plato

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!

Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content

Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com