RE: meaning & practice of a "doc freeze"

Subject: RE: meaning & practice of a "doc freeze"
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 21:42:13 -0400

Do whatever makes sense.

We have a "content freeze", which means no new info going into the book. We
have reviews along the way, so there are no surprises a week before content
freeze. When we freeze content, we mean NO ONE adds info to the book - it's
done. However, the book can still be proofread for grammar, spell-checked,
and then set up for publishing. We publicize the dates at the beginning of
the project, and go from there. If the project slips or is pulled in, the
documentation dates move as necessary.

But, you as the lead writer on the project need to hold firm to your dates.
They may want to add info, but you need to make it clear that they cannot do
so without slipping the publishing date. If they are OK with that, then so
be it.

Bill Swallow
wswallow "at" nycap "dot" rr "dot" com