RE: FUNNY OFFSHORE STORY

Subject: RE: FUNNY OFFSHORE STORY
From: "Bruce Evans" <bruce -dot- evans -at- sympatico -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 13:23:36 -0400

We've got some pretty flawed math here. If a company saves $200 by having a
U.S. $1000 job done offshore for $800, it has $200 to re-invest in the
economy and $800 is lost. If it pays $1000 to a U.S. writer, $1000 goes back
into the economy--assuming the writer pays food, rent, clothes and taxes
rather than burying it in the backyard.

We've seen the same arguments used to excuse buying non-North American
automobiles, electronics and clothes; now the economies of Asia are booming
and North American companies are failing. Look in the parking lots of Ford,
GM and Chrysler and you'll see our fate as technical writers.

Bruce

Bruce Evans, M.D.
Family Physician and Technical Writer

"Authority founded on injustice is never of long duration."