Re: FUNNY OFFSHORE STORY

Subject: Re: FUNNY OFFSHORE STORY
From: Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 10:38:26 -0500

I disagree. If you KNOW that people love you at your company and you will be giving references from said company, it is better for you to tell the interviewer, "I'm interested in your position because my position is being offshore outsourced in the next six months." That way, which has already happened to my husband for lying, when the interviewer calls his references they are not surprised when the references say, "We want to keep Joe*, but Joe's job is being sent to Siberia. Joe is the hardest worker."

Because this already happened and the interviewer called up the SO** and asked, "Why didn't you tell me your job was being offshore outsourced?" Then the SO looked like an idiot.

Someone else on this list from Minnesota may also illuminate those of you in different cities. Minneapolis is a tight knit community where people know each other or know someone that knows you. It's better to be honest.

*Names changed for confidentiality.
**SO=Significant Other

Michele

--
Michele

"Not allowed to sing 'High Speed Dirt' by Megadeth during airborne operations." ('See the earth below/Soon to make a crater/Blue sky, black death, I'm off to meet my maker')
Quoted from a military blog
www.krautgrrl.com

Nora Merhar wrote:

Hmm. I usually say something along the lines of "I actually wasn't looking
for a new job, but this opportunity came up and I wanted to find out what
you guys are all about" (obviously not EXACTLY that, but something along
those lines). And that is true. When I was looking to relocate to this
state, I said "I'm interested in relocating to <insert state>" and THAT
was true. I DON'T say "we've had massive layoffs lately, my pay's been cut
and I don't like my boss..." even if those things ALSO happened to be
true. Now, if I had been laid off, I would say so without further comment.
Companies are likely to know what's going on with other companies in the
area.

So if I was being offshored, I wouldn't mention it. I'd tell them
something true that puts me (and them) in a good light. That other things
ALSO happen to be true doesn't mean I have to mention them. A job
interview is not a confessional.

Nora

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!
Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com