RE: FUNNY OFFSHORE STORY

Subject: RE: FUNNY OFFSHORE STORY
From: "Peter Swisher" <pswisher -at- arisglobal -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 12:18:06 -0400

I do as well. Companies that are offshoring software development are
likewise offshoring the documentation work for those software products. A
prior company went from 8 US-based FT writers in 1999 to 1-2 US-based
contract writers (no benefits) in 2004. The contractors work anywhere from
20-35 hours / week at around $25/hour. In large part, they were responsible
for editing documentation that was written elsewhere.

And to whomever said:
>When Posada stated that you shouldn't be talking about the economy in
>an interview, well sometimes you can't get around it. Since my husband
>is interviewing ONLY because his job is being offshore outsourced when
>he is asked why he's leaving,

I actually was the one who said this. The fact remains that one can mention
their job function was outsourced w/out discussing the economy. When my job
function (read not me personally), was outsourced, I obtained a letter from
my former employer stating "theirs was a business decision wh/ had nothing
to do with my performance". If asked, I can produced this letter, along with
5 years of consecutive and good-excellent performance reviews.

So, if you are asked why you are available for work, say something like
"despite excellent performance, my company made a business decision to move
my job function (or department) to an offshore location". Don't discuss
economics with a hiring manager. That is more of a political discussion,
and there is a 50% chance the HM will disagree with your view of the
economy.