Re: Need some ideas - Clarification

Subject: Re: Need some ideas - Clarification
From: Sharon Burton <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:37:16 -0700

Sorry - wasn't clear. This questionaire is not for training - it's for the docs
group.

The docs group knows NOTHING about our users. We guess what they are like, what
their environment is like, everything. Some of these may be good guesses, but
data is better than guessing. (please don't tell me we should go out and meet
them, there are all sort of good reasons why that is not practical.)

The only time I know of that the company has contact with users in a captive
environment is during training. Thus, my idea to stick a questionaire in the
course eval for the docs group so we can get a sense of who these users are so
we have a start at an audience analysis.

Then we can start making decisions about the docs that make sense for our users
instead of making decisions for our users based on, um, fantasy? which is largly
what we do now. I'd like us to stop that.

sharon

Sharon Burton
CEO, Anthrobytes Consulting
www.anthrobytes.com
909-369-8590

Quoting "Lisa A. Roth" <roth -dot- lisa -at- jimmy -dot- harvard -dot- edu>:

> Hi Sharon,
>
> You would probably also want to focus on things such as
> How often do you use the <program/technology/skill being taught>?
> _ Every day
> _ Regularly (several times a week)
> _ Occasionally (several times a month)
> _ Rarely
> _ I don't use it, but I manage staff members who do.
>
> You may also want some sort of follow-up question to gauge whether the
> level of training suited the degree to which a given person was expect
> to apply the knowledge gained.
>
> If there is any departmental overlap, you may also find it useful to ask
> which department a person works in. However, if this is supposed to be
> anonymous and you have several one- or two-person departments, it could
> be useful to use larger nondepartmental groupings to maintain anonymity.

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!

Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content

Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com