Re: Guru.com

Subject: Re: Guru.com
From: "Steve Schwarzman" <steve -at- writersbookmall -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:18:31 -0400

Peter wrote:
>Looking at the site now, it appears to combine the clean design from Guru
with the payment system of eMoonlighter (Guru previously was free to
workers).

I took a look and liked the clean design, too. But the business model does
seem tilted to the employers. Contractors pay 5% of the billing rate if they
sign up (and pay) as members, or 10% if they don't. And that's without
benefits - they pay you on 1099. On the other hand, maybe that's not so bad
if you think of it as paying them a finder's fee for bringing you work.

For my contract work, I use an agency that serves as employer of record.
They take 5% for handling the administration - and pay me on W-2, which
means they conveniently reimburse me for my expenses as an employee. It's a
good deal for people who need an agency to do the paperwork but can find
their own work - you have to do your own marketing.

Steve Schwarzman
Books for Writers - http://www.writersbookmall.com

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!

Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content

Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com