Re: Corporate-scale training program references

Subject: Re: Corporate-scale training program references
From: Rachael Lininger <techwhirl -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 19:27:18 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Steve Schwarzman <steve -at- writersbookmall -dot- com> wrote:
>Rachael wrote:
>>It turns out that one of my duties is security awareness program for a big
>>corporation.

>and
>>I don't know how to develop a corporate-wide training program, budgeted or
>>not.

>Just to clarify, I understand from this that you are not the security
>manager for your company, but nonetheless you have been charged with
>delivering a security awareness training program. Is that right? What sort
>of security - physical, computer, ...?

The security director is my boss' boss. I am the tech writer for information
security, and that's what the training would be on. But that's really
immaterial -- I'm my own SME for the security aspects, and have easy access
to other SMEs for the parts I don't know.

What I need help with is the "corporate-wide training program" part. The
scale is daunting, to say the least.

>Rachael also wrote:
>>I don't want to approach company training resources until I have a better
>>idea of what I want and what's possible.

>You mean your company has a training department, but you've been given this
>assignment instead of them (yet need to work with them in some fashion)?

I have no idea if we have a training department per se. I'm trying to find this
out. (You'd think this would be easy. Amazingly, it's not.)

>Finally, one more question to get things going: does your company have
>_specific_ security or training needs that would preclude the use of a
>ready-made product, or would you be able to use something off the shelf? (A
>quick Google search on "security awareness training" gave 1.6 million hits.
>I didn't page through, but if you can use a generic program, I bet it
>exists.)

Outsourcing would be fine; but I have to understand what's needed in a
huuuuuge training program before I can make any intelligent judgments on
the quality of training the outsourcer would provide. I can judge the content
fine, but if the content were okay I wouldn't know how to judge the rest.

Rachael

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!

Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content

Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com