Re: Help! Need a word or phrase

Subject: Re: Help! Need a word or phrase
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 02:00:47 -0400

I see "Technical and Business Writing" beneath the company name, but
the first sentence of the text says "a technical and marketing
communications company."

This is just my personal opinion, Steven, but I would not use
"Documentation and Marketing Collateral" at all. Instead, I'd use
something like "What We Write," and for the next bulleted item, I'd
use, "What We've Written." In other words, your headings should
maintain the tone you establish in the text itself. The existing
headings are a bit bland and don't really invite the reader or even
attempt to engage the reader. Headings are powerful sales tools.

So I guess I am suggesting that you rethink the whole approach you are
taking with the headings and think about making them as reader-centric
as your text is.

Bonnie Granat
www.granatedit.com

> The *next* bullet item is intended to describe the types of systems
> document. That includes any kind of GUI for virtually any kind of
software
> application. But also, since I have some background in both
programming
> and electronics, I'm including things like internal APIs
(application
> programming interfaces), communications protocols, register level
functions
> in microchips -- things that not everyone else documents. So --
getting to
> the point -- I need an umbrella term for this bullet item. So far
all I've
> come up with is: "Target Applications". I could say something
like: "The
> Kinds Of Systems I Document", which is really just what I am trying
to say,
> but that sounds so clunky.
>
> Is there another way, a more pithy way, to convey "The Kinds Of
Systems I
> Document"? I don't think that "Target Applications" gets the point
> across. Maybe "Systems Documented" or "Technologies Documented", is
either
> of those okay? Still sounds clunky to me. Besides which, I've also
> documented business procedures to support an ISO-9000 certification
> process, and I really don't think that business procedures are a
> "technology", except in the broadest sense of the term. So I still
need a
> good umbrella phrase for "stuff I document."

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!

Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content

Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com