RE: Corporate-scale training program references

Subject: RE: Corporate-scale training program references
From: "Hauglie, Joe" <jhauglie -at- ti -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:42:07 -0500

Rachel Lininger asked about references for corporate-scale training
programs.

Rachel, the first things you need to define are (in no particular
order):

* when does the training program need to be in place? OR
* is there a date that someone (your boss?) has in mind by which a
metric can be established regarding the program? (Something like, "Yes,
we have a training program," or "X% of our people have been trained in Y
methods.")
* is there any type of budget that you have (or will have)
accountability for in this regard?

Rationale:
Nearly any experienced training program vendors you contact will likely
ask you these questions within the first 30 minutes of meeting with you.
Your search for references and assistance will be more fruitful if you
can establish these parameters; this request for a training program
could easily be another variation of "get a rock" management.

As for references, I suggest that you begin by benchmarking several
successful training programs that are near you. Use your local people
network (or Yellow Pages) to find three or four companies that have
training departments/groups/teams. If you can't find any, email me
offlist and I will suggest several national/international companies that
I know which have them and would be happy to give you information.

Other than that, you may be better off working with your internal
training dept (which you say you are having trouble finding; try asking
your HR dept for some leads) instead of outsourcing it, but I may be
wrong; it depends on your corporate culture (as well as $$ available).

Hope this helps. Sounds like a great opportunity to broaden your
experience horizon.

Respectfully,

Joe Hauglie
Technical Editor
Technical Information Systems
Texas Instruments - Tucson

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!

Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content

Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com