re: handshaking

Subject: re: handshaking
From: cchris -at- toptechwriter -dot- us
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 08:47:04 -0600

> Shank wants to know how to use "handshake".
>
> Unless you are writing for a high-tech audience, don't use the term
> "handshake." Rather, write something like "The server authenticates and then
> authorizes the connection." Furthermore, unless your audience needs to know
> that the connection to the server is more than just a simple connection, but
> that it also requires some kind of authorization or agreement about
> protocols, then it is enough to say, simply, "x establsihes a connection
> with the server."
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Lyndsey Amott
> www.docsymmetry.com
> Winnipeg, MB R3G 2J3

Hi, Lyndsey

I'd agree with your advice except that Shank's message included an error
message that mentions "Handshake". My guess is that he has to document
that error message, so he'll have to tell users what handshaking is at
some point.

Regards,
Chris

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!

Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content

Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com