re: Why should a tech writer learn XML?

Subject: re: Why should a tech writer learn XML?
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 08:28:54 -0700 (PDT)

---------------------------------
jsokohl asks
Specifically, if you're doing all your doc in Word (and not planning on
single-sourcing), what value is there in attending an XML hands-on
training session?
---------------------------------

You would and wouldn't learn XML for all of the reasons already stated.

But there is one thing that I don't think anyone really mentioned. Thinking in terms of XML structures fundamentally changes the way one thinks about content. To really grasp and under and use XML, you have to tweak the way you think about data and information, which in turn may open up new ideas about your own documentation, how to organize it, and how to present it. That is a great benefit.

This tweaking will also bring you one step closer to "thinking like a programmer" which can be immensely helpful. It's so nice to be able to go and talk to a programmer and get very straight facts about what is going on with an application from the coding end because that helps me determine what information to leave out, which to put in, and how to present it in my docs.

XML isn't that hard to learn, in fact I'd say it's easier than HTML. What can be more challenging are the related languages/standards/technologies like XSL/T and DOM programming. I'd say if your organization is paying for this training, attend. It may lead to nothing or may lead to something beneficial to you. You have nothing lose and everything to gain from this opportunity, so take it and just try to enjoy yourself. :-)

Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION!!

Have you tried the latest in Help Authoring from RoboHelp?
Try ROBOHELP X5 for Free - Now with Word 2003 support, Content

Download a free trial today: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com